Article updated: April 26, 2023
Beard care is often overlooked as an important part of a man’s grooming routine. However, if you want to maintain a healthy and stylish beard, then it’s important to take the time to care for it properly.
Fortunately, beard care doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. In fact, there are a few simple steps that you can take to ensure that your beard looks its best.
In this article, we will take a look at why you should start taking care of your beard as well as some tips on how to do so. We hope that this article will help you on your journey to beard mastery!
Benefits of a Healthy Beard
Having a healthy beard comes with many benefits. Not only will it look good but it can also improve the health of your skin. Having a well-groomed beard can also help you project an air of confidence and style. Here are some of the benefits of having a healthy beard:
1. Promotes Skin Health – Taking care of your beard helps to prevent irritation and infection. By using proper beard care products like shampoo and conditioner, you’ll help keep your beard clean and healthy.
2. Reduces Itchiness – When your beard becomes too long, it can start to itch. Regular trimming can help reduce itchiness, as well as using a beard oil or balm to help prevent skin dryness.
3. Makes You Look Well-Groomed – A neatly trimmed beard can help you look more presentable and well-groomed. It can also help you appear more mature and sophisticated.
4. Looks Good – A healthy beard looks good and can enhance your facial features. With proper care and maintenance, you can keep your beard looking its best.
When you’re new to beard care, it can be confusing trying to figure out what supplies you need. Here are some of the basic supplies you’ll need to get started:
The Supplies You’ll Need to Get Started
1. Beard Shampoo and Conditioner – Especially if you have an unruly beard, you’ll need to use a good quality shampoo and conditioner. This will help keep your hair follicles healthy and reduce the chances of beard dandruff.
2. Combs and Brushes – Investing in the right comb and brush will help keep your beard looking neat and healthy. Make sure you choose a comb that is designed for beards and not regular hair; regular combs can damage your beard.
3. Beard Oil and Balm – These products can help nourish and soften your beard, as well as reduce scalp dryness and itchiness. There are many different types of oils and balms available, so take the time to figure out what works best for your beard type and skin type.
4. Beard Trimmer – A beard trimmer can help keep your beard looking neat and even. There are many trimmers available on the market, so choose one that suits your needs and budget.
By investing in these supplies and using them regularly, you’ll be well on your way to achieving a healthy and attractive beard.
Now that you have the right supplies, it’s time to learn some basics of beard care. Here are four essential tips that will help you achieve a healthy, attractive beard:
4 Basic Beard Care Tips for New Beard Growers
1. Choose a beard style – The first step to having a neat and well-maintained beard is to select a style that suits your face shape. You don’t have to stick to the same style, but it’s important to understand the principles of beard styling.
2. Wash regularly – Just like your head, it’s important to keep your beard clean by washing it at least two or three times a week. Use a mild, beard-specific shampoo and conditioner to retain the natural oils in your beard and minimize skin irritation.
3. Oil and balm it – Applying a quality oil or balm to your beard will help keep it soft, healthy, and looking neat. Be sure to use the right product for your beard type and skin type, and apply it daily.
4. Keep it trimmed – Using a beard trimmer, trim your beard in a downward direction every week or two. This will help you to maintain a neat style, as well as remove any split ends.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to have a healthy and attractive beard in no time.
5 Common Mistakes New Beard Growers Make
No matter how knowledgeable you are in the art of beard grooming, it’s easy to make honest mistakes. Here are five common mistakes men tend to make when it comes to their beards:
1. Not Taking Care of the Skin: You can have the most well-coiffed beard, but if you’re not taking care of your skin underneath it, your beard will not look its best. Make sure to use a moisturizer designed specifically for facial hair, as regular moisturizers contain ingredients that can make the skin underneath your beard oily.
2. Over-Trimming: Over-trimming is a common problem for many bearded gentlemen. When trimming make sure to use short strokes and work gradually. This will help you control the length and shape of your beard.
3. Not Brushing Your Beard: Brushing your beard will help to keep it smooth and tangle-free. Make sure to use a brush designed specifically for beards so that you don’t damage the hair.
4. Split Ends: Split ends are one of the most difficult beard problems to deal with. Regularly using a conditioner that’s formulated for beards can help reduce split ends and keep your beard looking healthy.
5. Unbalanced Beard Shaping: Another mistake men make when it comes to their beard is not paying attention to the overall shape of their beard. Investing in a quality pair of scissors or
Beard Product Recommendations for Beginner Growers
Once you’ve mastered the basics of beard care, it’s time to move onto product recommendations. Here’s a guide to some of the best products to help keep your beard looking its best:
Beard oil: Beard oil is essential for keeping your beard looking soft and healthy. It will nourish your beard and help it to look great all day long. Check out my list of best beard oils for men.
Beard balm: Balm will help condition and add a light hold to your beard, helping to shape and hold your style. Check out my list of best smelling beard balms.
Beard brushes: Investing in a quality beard brush will help to keep your beard looking neat and trim.
Beard trimmers: Trim your beard regularly to keep it looking very attractive. Make sure to use a trimmer designed specifically for beard care.
Scissors: Scissors are also an important part of beard maintenance. Investing in a quality pair of scissors is essential to keeping your beard looking its best.
Beard Wash: Shampoo made specifically for beards is a must. It helps to cleanse the skin beneath the beard while still keeping your facial hair soft and looking its best.
Beard Conditioner: Regularly using a conditioner formulated for beards helps to keep it tangle-free and looking great.
Following these product recommendations will help make sure your beard is looking its absolute best at all times.
Thanks for reading.