Updated: April 11, 2021
What separates a “homeless man” looking beard from a “I grew this beard intentionally” looking beard?
If you’re sporting a manly beard, then beard oil is an absolute must if you intend to keep it looking happy, healthy, and strong.
While growing a beard doesn’t require much effort for most men, maintaining a beard on the other hand is a bit more involved.
If you want to look more like a Greek God and less like a homeless man with a tangle of pubes sprouting out of your face; it’s time to up your grooming game and start taking care of your beard like a real man should.
What is Beard Oil?
To put it simply: beard oil is basically a leave-in conditioner for your beard and skin. All beard oils contain a combination of carrier oils that are designed to soften and smooth coarse beard hair while also moisturizing the skin underneath — helping to alleviate dry skin, itch, and beard dandruff.
While most beard oils contain their own unique combination of carrier oils, some of the most common (and most effective) carrier oils include: Jojoba oil, argan oil, grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil just to name a few.
What to Look for in a Beard Oil
When it comes to choosing a beard oil it’s important to remember that not all beard oils are created equal. One of the first things you should consider when making a buying decision is the ingredient list.
There are an absolute shit ton of really cheap beard oils available on the market today, but the problem with most (not all) of these beard oils is that they are formulated with inferior ingredients.
One of the ways companies can afford to price their beard oils so cheaply is because they use inexpensive refined carrier oils.
Refined carrier oils are extracted from plants using heat, and in some cases chemicals. This process is used to help get the maximum amount of oil from the plant, but the problem is that it can drastically reduce the amount of nutrients in the oil — essentially compromising it’s effectiveness.
Un-refined carrier oils, often referred to as cold-pressed carrier oils, are extracted from plants without the use of heat or chemicals. While this process results in a smaller overall yield, the resulting oil retains all of it’s essential nutrients. Un-refined oils are more expensive.
Another important factor to consider when choosing a beard oil is scent —or lack thereof.
Since scent is completely subjective, my best advice for making an online buying decision is to pay attention to the beard oil scent description. Any reputable beard oil company will put a detailed description of the scent to help buyers make an informed decision.
And if you’re still unsure after reading the description (and testing out in person is not an option) I recommend going with an unscented beard oil.
Now that we covered some of the basics of beard oil, I want to share with you my list of best beard oils for men. Enjoy.
- Jack Black Beard Oil
- Detroit Grooming Co.
- The Bearded Bastard
- Badass Beard Oil
- Simply Great Beard Oil
- Zeus Beard Oil
Best Beard Oils for Men Reviewed
If nothing but the best beard oil will do, you simply can’t go wrong with this premium beard oil from Jack Black. Founded in 2000, Jack Black has established themselves as one of the premier brands when it comes to men’s grooming products. Formulated with all-natural ingredients, Jack Black Beard Oil is designed to soften and smooth coarse beard hair, eliminate dry skin and dandruff (beardruff), and put an end to beard split ends and breakage. And just like all of Jack Black products, their beard oil is packed full of premium ingredients you won’t find in other beard oils. Here’s what’s inside: Kalahari melon oil, marula oil, brown algae, carrot extract, vitamin E, and plum oil.
What I like about Jack Black Beard Oil:
• Beard beneficial ingredients
Taking care of your beard is crucial if you intend to keep it looking healthy and happy. One of the things that makes Jack Black Beard Oil so great is that it contains all-natural ingredients that make caring for your beard simple and easy. Here’s a closer look at what’s inside:
- Kalahari melon oil – A non-greasy (non-comedogenic) oil that hydrates and conditions skin and beard. It helps eliminate dry skin and beardruff, and even helps prevent beard split ends and breakage.
- Marula oil – Rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids. It helps keeps beard hair soft, supple, and moisturized. It also helps eliminate dry skin and beardruff.
- Brown algae – Full of essential fatty acids that promote thicker, fuller beard growth. It also helps keep the skin soft, smooth, and moisturized — helping to eliminate beard dandruff.
- Carrot extract – Has been shown to improve the look, feel, and health of beard hair. It also helps increase blood flow to the skin which can improve beard thickness and growth over time.
- Vitamin E – Helps keep beard hair moisturized and helps prevent breakage and split ends. It also improves the health of hair follicles which can lead to improved beard hair growth and thickness.
- Plum oil – Full of vitamins and omega fatty acids, this lightweight oil hydrates and moisturizes beard hair and helps add a healthy sheen.
• Pump dispenser
While eye-drop applicators are functional and serve their intended purpose, I really like the modern pump applicator found on this bottle of Jack Black Beard Oil. It’s not only very simple to use, but it’s also quick, precise, and non-messy. It definitely adds to the premium look and feel of this bottle of beard oil.
• A little goes a long way
I’ll admit this Jack Black Beard Oil isn’t exactly cheap. On the plus side you really don’t need to use much of it to achieve full coverage. I find that 2-3 drops of this beard oil covers a lot of ground and will typically be enough for most full beards.
Detroit Grooming Co.
Hailing from the Motor City is this premium quality beard oil by Detroit Grooming Company. Conceptualized in 2013, Detroit Grooming Co. is known for producing some of the best beard oils known to man. Their “Corktown” Beard Oil is named after the oldest city in Detroit and features a unique old time fragrance that contains notes of vanilla, tobacco, and cedarwood. Aside from the great scent, this beard oil is also packed with all-natural oils that are designed to soften, smooth, and hydrate beard hair — while helping to prevent beard dandruff, breakage, and split ends. Here’s a quick look at the ingredient list: sweet almond oil, vitamin E oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, rice bran oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, and wheat germ oil.
What I like about Detroit Grooming Co. Beard Oil:
• Excellent scents
One of the things that I really like about Detroit Grooming Co. is their awesome beard oil scent options. As I mentioned above, “Corktown” Beard Oil is an awesome blend of vanilla, tobacco, and cedarwood that smells bold, rugged, and masculine as hell. They also offer a bunch of unique fragrances that are definitely worth a sniff, including:
- Black – Amber bourbon
- Traverse City – Cherry and tobacco
- Belle Isle – Orange and lavender
- Orchard Lake – Orange and vanilla
- Woodward – Vanilla and mahogany teakwood
- Mackinac – Peppermint and cedarwood
- Sturgis – Amber, cardamon, leather, and bergamot
- Downtown – Unscented
• All-natural ingredients
If you’re anything like me you prefer to avoid using beard products that contain synthetic chemicals and ingredients. One of the great things about Detroit Grooming Co. beard oils is that they are formulated using only safe, all-natural ingredients. Here’s a closer look at what’s inside:
- Sweet almond oil – Full of vitamins that help promote healthy beard growth. It also helps repair hair follicles and keeps them healthy.
- Vitamin E – Helps moisturize the skin and hair and helps reduce beard breakage and split ends.
- Sunflower oil – Rich in vitamins A and E and high in essential fatty acids that keep the beard soft, nourished, and hydrated.
- Safflower oil – Rich in oleic acid that is known to condition the skin and beard. Oleic acid is also believed to increase blood circulation to the skin which can result in thicker, fuller beard growth.
- Rice bran oil – Helps nourish and hydrate the beard and skin. It’s also believed to promote beard growth.
- Apricot oil – Rich in nutrients, essential fatty acids, and vitamins A, C, and E. It’s known to improve hair growth, reduce dry skin and beardruff, and it also gives beards a healthy sheen.
- Avocado oil – Rich in oleic acid and essential fatty acids. It helps moisturize the skin and bead hairs by penetrating deep into the hair shaft. Helps prevent beard breakage and split ends.
- Wheat germ oil – Contains emollient properties that helps keep the skin and beards soft, nourished, and moisturized.
One of the great things about Detroit Grooming Co. beard oil is that it doesn’t weigh the beard down or leave it feeling heavy or greasy. It simply nourishes, softens, and hydrates the beard — while providing a nice, healthy sheen.
The Bearded Bastard
When it comes to the best beard oils for men this list wouldn’t be worth a damn if it didn’t include one of The Bearded Bastards awesome creations. The Bearded Bastard is a Texas based company that offers a premium line of beard oils and balms. Their products are not only known for their high quality and effectiveness, but also for their unique scents and fragrances. “Opium Den” is one of their most popular scents and features a complex blend of tobacco, coffee, vanilla, and cloves. The smell can best be described as masculine, rugged, and refined. Great scent aside, The Bearded Bastard is full of all-natural ingredients that are designed to soften coarse beard hair, improve beard health, and provide beards with a healthy looking sheen. The ingredient list includes: Sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, olive oil, meadowfoam seed oil, broccoli seed oil, rosehip seed oil, pomegranate seed oil, vitamin E, and rosemary oil extract.
What I like about The Bearded Bastard Beard Oil:
• Absorbs quickly
One of the things I really like about The Bearded Bastard Beard Oil is that beard hairs drink this stuff up. It absorbs very quickly into the hair shaft and doesn’t leave any greasy residue behind when it dries.
• All-natural ingredients
One of the things that sets The Bearded Bastard apart from other beard oils is it’s long list of beard beneficial ingredients. Here’s a closer look at what’s inside:
- Sweet almond oil – Full of B vitamins that are shown to improve hair growth. It’s also full of vitamin E that is known to promote growth by improving hair follicle health.
- Grapeseed oil – Moisturizes and hydrates beard hairs while adding a healthy looking sheen. It also helps keep beard hairs detangled.
- Argan oil – Smooths and softens coarse beard hair while adding nourishment and hydration. It’s also full of essential fatty acids and vitamin E that help improve hair elasticity which helps prevent beard breakage and split ends.
- Jojoba oil – Helps moisturize the skin and beard and is known for fighting beard dandruff. It’s also full of nutrients and vitamins (C,B, & E) that help improve beard health and strength.
- Castor oil – Helps combat beard dandruff and also improves beard growth by increasing blood circulation to the hair follicles.
- Olive oil – Moisturizes skin and beard hair which helps eliminate beard dandruff. It also improves beard growth and strength by increasing blood circulation to the hair follicles.
- Meadowfoam seed oil – Helps protect and moisturize beard hairs by forming a protective coating on the hair shaft, which helps lock in moisture.
- Broccoli seed oil – Full of moisturizing fatty acids that improve the appearance of beard hair by adding a healthy shine.
- Rosehip seed oil – Contains moisturizing properties that soften beard hair, eliminate beard dandruff, and soothe beard irritation and itch.
- Pomegranate seed oil – Full of antioxidants and vitamins that help stimulate beard growth and also revitalizes dull hair by adding a healthy sheen.
- Vitamin E – Helps moisturize beard hair and improve elasticity which helps prevent beard breakage and split ends.
• A little goes a long way
While The Bearded Bastard is a bit on the pricier side, it’s worth noting that a little bit of this oil goes a long way. Just a few drops of The Bearded Bastard is enough for most men to achieve full beard coverage.
Badass Beard Oil
Your beard is badass, so why not use a beard oil that’s badass? Makes sense to me. Badass Beard Oil is made right here in the good ol’ USA and is designed to soften coarse beard hair, tame dreaded beard itch, and prevent unsightly beard dandruff. It’s also available in a wide variety of awesome scents and fragrances that are perfectly suited for bearded gentlemen such as ourselves. One of their most popular scents (and my personal favorite) is “The Viking” (pictured above). It features a satisfying blend of orange, fir, and clove that smells bold, rugged, citrusy, and masculine. Another great thing about Badass Beard Oil is their use of all-natural ingredients. Here’s a look at their key ingredients: Apricot kernel oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E.
What I like about Badass Beard Oil:
• Tons of great scent options
Scent is extremely subjective. A fragrance that smells great to one person might smell terrible to another. That’s one of the reasons why I really like Badass Beard Oil. They offer their beard oil in a ton of scent options and has something for pretty much everyone. Here’s a closer look:
- The Viking – Orange – fir – clove
- The Ladies Man – Lemon – vanilla
- Original – Sandalwood – vanilla
- The Mountain Man – Pine – cedar
- The Outlaw – Tobacco – vanilla – pepper
- The Patriot – Cedar – tea tree – rosemary – patchouli
- The Biker – Patchouli – peppermint – sandalwood
- The Royal Knight – Earl grey tea – lavender – vanilla
- The Pirate – Lime – bay leaf – orange – clove
- The Bushwhacker – Eucalyptus – lemongrass – citronella
- El Burrista – Coffee – vanilla
- The Brewmaster – Tangerine – grapefruit – orange – fir
• Softens and smooths
One of the things that I really like about Badass Beard Oil is how well it softens and smoothes beard hair. It’s formulated with apricot, jojoba, and argan oils that are known for their ability moisturize and soften beard hair while adding a healthy shine.
• It’s non-greasy
Nobody wants to use an oil that leaves the beard feeling heavy and greasy. That’s why the best beard oils use ingredients that absorb into the hair shaft without leaving any residue behind when they dry. Badass Beard Oil only uses carrier oils that are non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores), and absorb quickly into the hair shaft without leaving the beard feeling greasy or “oily.”
Simply Great Beard Oil
With a name like “Simply Great Beard Oil” how can you go wrong? Just like the name implies, Simply Great Beard Oil is pretty, well, great. Made in New Hampshire, this beard oil is formulated with all-natural ingredients that are designed to soften and smooth coarse beard hair, moisturize dry skin, and leave your beard with the awesome scent of masculinity that is sure to get your nose hairs attention. Available in 19 great scents, Simply Great Beard Oil offers something for pretty much everyone. One of their best selling (and my favorite) scents is their “SEXY” fragrance. SEXY smells warm, citrusy, leathery, woody, spicy, and slightly sweet. It’s a very bold and masculine smelling beard oil that is most certainly capable of helping you drop copious amounts of panties…
What I like about Simply Great Beard Oil:
• Tons of scent options
What’s not to like about options? One of the things I really like about Simply Great Beard Oil is the wide variety of scent options to choose from. Here’s a look at Simply Great Beard Oil’s offerings:
- Barbershop – An old school barbershop inspired scent.
- Coconut – A pina colada inspired scent that contains hints of pineapple and fresh coconut.
- Bay Rum – Sweet, spicy, and woodsy, with hints of cardamom and nutmeg.
- Datenite – A crisp, clean, and spicy aroma that is perfect for, you guessed it, date night.
- Forest – A fresh scent that is reminiscent of a forest full of fir trees.
- Leather – The rich, musky aroma of leather. Reminiscent of a luxury car interior.
- Lumberjack – A manly aroma of fir and cedarwood.
- Mahogany – The warm scent of mahogany with a touch of vanilla.
- Sandalwood – A woody fragrance that contains a sweet touch of tonka bean.
- Sexy – A true panty dropping scent that is reminiscent of Drakkar Noir.
- Swagger – A bold, rugged, confident scent of sandalwood and oakmoss.
- Tobacco – A sweet, smokey scent that is more similar to pipe tobacco than cigarette smoke. Which is a good thing.
- Viking – Musky and masculine with a hint of rosewood.
- Whiskey – A slightly sweet aroma that unmistakably whiskey inspired.
One of the things that I really like about Simply Great Beard Oil is that it absorbs quickly into the beard hairs and doesn’t leave any oily residue behind when it dries.
• Softens, smoothes, and detangles
As you would expect from a great beard oil, Simply Great Beard Oil does an awesome job of softening, smoothing, and detangling coarse beard hair. Just a few drops of this stuff is enough to leave your beard feeling soft and looking healthy.
Thanks for checking out my list of best beard oils for men. If you found this article helpful, check out my list of best beard washes for dry skin and beardruff. As always, if you have any comments or questions feel free to drop me a line in the comment section below.