Article updated: September 4, 2021
Do you look forward to shaving everyday?
For most men (not all men) the answer to that question is going to be a “hell no!”
While shaving can be a time consuming, tedious, and sometimes even painful process, there is no denying that it’s a necessary evil for most men.
And because it’s a necessity, I believe that us men should embrace the daily shave and try to make it as pleasant as possible. Would you not agree?
One of the best ways to make the morning shave a more enjoyable process is to upgrade the scent of your shaving cream.
A great smelling shaving cream is not only pleasing to the senses, but science has shown that odor can alter mood and even improve one’s outlook on the day.
The whole neurological process works when the brain receives and processes information from the olfactory receptors…. and I think odor molecules interact with receptors in the brain….. and electrical signals travel…somewhere…. fuck it – it’s science, bitch!
So if you’re ready to step up your morning routine and start using a shaving cream that’ll actually make you look forward to shaving, then read on for my list of best smelling shaving creams for men.
- Barberry Coast Shave Co. – Havana
- Musgo Real – Classic Scent
- The Art of Shaving – Bergamot & Neroli
- Rocky Mountain Barber Co. – Sandalwood
- Castle Forbes – Lime Essential Oil
- Pre de Provence – No. 63
Best Smelling Shaving Creams for Men Reviewed
Barberry Coast Shave Company – Havana
Take your nose hairs on a trip to Havana with this Havana scented shaving cream by Barberry Coast Shave Company. For those of you not familiar with Barberry Coast, they are a USA based company that specializes in pretty much everything shaving or beard related. Their products include: brushes, beard oil, aftershave, shave soaps and even cologne. But when it comes to the product that basically put them on the map, shaving cream is without a doubt their bread and butter. Not only does their Havana scented shaving cream offer excellent performance, comfort, and lather – but it has an absolute kick-ass fragrance that is truly worthy of appreciation. Taking inspiration from Havana, Cuba – this shaving cream is scented with a complex blend of tobacco leaf, cocoa beans, vanilla, patchouli, and Peruvian clove. It’s incredibly bold, rugged, masculine, and definitely worth a sniff if you’re looking for the best smelling shaving cream for men. Highly recommended.
What else is great about Barberry Coast Shave Co. shaving cream?
• All-natural ingredients
Having an awesome fragrance isn’t the only thing that’s great about Barberry Coast Havana shaving cream. One of the things that originally stood out to me about this shaving cream is that fact that it’s formulated using only safe, all-natural ingredients. Considering the fact that many shaving creams nowadays contain harmful and potentially cancer causing chemicals, it’s certainly a huge positive to have a shaving cream like Barberry Coast available on the market.
• Softens and moisturizes
The primary purpose of a shaving cream is to provide lubrication and protection from sharp razor blades, and this Havana scented shaving cream does it’s job very well. What it also does very well is leave skin feeling incredible soft, smooth, and moisturized post-shave. That’s because Barberry Coast packs their shaving cream with an absolute shit ton of skin beneficial ingredients. What’s inside:
- Shea butter – A fat that’s extracted from the nut of the African shea tree, shea butter is an excellent moisturizer that helps eliminate shaving irritation and bumps, and even helps fight acne and reduces inflammation.
- Aloe – Full of antioxidants and vitamins that help treat dry skin and acne. It also helps soothe and lubricate skin, helping to reduce shaving irritation and bumps.
- Sunflower oil – Rich in vitamins A and E which help protect and repair the skin. It’s also a natural source of linoleic acid which provides moisture and fullness to the skin, and even helps fight the signs of aging.
- Almond oil – An emollient that helps keep the skin soft and supple by locking in moisture. It’s also packed with vitamin E that helps fight the signs of aging and even protects the skin from sun damage.
- White tea – Full of antibacterial and anti-aging properties that help prevent fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also rich in antioxidants that help protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals.
- Green tea – Contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that help protect the skin, reduce redness and irritation from shaving, and fight acne. It also helps moisturize and hydrate dry skin.
- Lavender – Contains anti-inflammatory properties that are known to reduce skin redness and irritation while it soothes and relieves.
- Comfrey – Derived from a plant, comfrey extract naturally contains allantoin that helps keep skin soft, supple, and moisturized.
• Excellent lather
Awesome scent aside, one of the things that made this Barberry Coast Shaving cream famous is it’s incredible lather. Only a small amount of this stuff is needed for a very thick, rich lather that provides a ton of cushion, comfort, and glide. It leaves skin feeling noticeably soft and smooth, while doing an excellent job at preventing nicks, cuts, and irritation.
Musgo Real – Classic Scent
Launched all the way back in the 1930’s, Musgo Real is a luxury men’s brand that produces some of the absolute best shaving creams on the planet. Not only do their shaving creams provide incredible performance, but they have some of the most unique and awesome smelling fragrances that you’re ever going to find in a shave cream. And while that might sound a little bit like hyperbole, I assure you it’s not. This stuff really does smell that good. That’s because Musgo Real is a fragrance house that puts a ton of time, effort, and dedication into producing unique and captivating fragrances for their products that really sets them apart from the crowd. One of their best selling shaving creams (and my personal favorite) is their Classic Scent. It features a complex blend of patchouli, neroli, bergamot, lavender, violet, vetiver, and musk. I would describe the scent as smelling woody, citrusy, sweet, spicy, bold, and masculine as all hell. It’s definitely a frontrunner for best smelling shaving cream for men.
What else is great about Musgo Real Classic Scent shaving cream?
• Skin moisturizing ingredients
The benefits of shaving cream shouldn’t stop with the shave itself. That’s one of the things that I like about Musgo Real shaving cream. They add skin moisturizing ingredients that improve the look, feel, and health of the skin every time you shave. What’s inside:
- Lanolin – A lightweight wax that’s secreted from the sebaceous glands of wool-bearing animals (typically sheep). lanolin is used in premium shave creams and soaps due to it’s ability to nourish, protect, and cleanse the skin as you shave. It’s also a natural emollient that helps the skin lock in moisture.
- Glycerin – A plant derived oil that attracts moisture and hydration to the skin and locks it in. It’s commonly used in lotions and high end skincare products due to it’s ability to soften and moisturize the skin.
- Coconut oil – Contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that protect the skin and help fight acne. It’s also full of beneficial fatty acids, including vitamin E, that help moisturize and hydrate the skin.
- Jojoba oil – Derived from the seed of the simmondsia chinensis plant which is a shrub commonly found in Arizona, California, and Mexico. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin and help reduce redness and irritation caused from shaving. It’s also full of vitamins E and B that protect the skin and support the growth of healthy skin cells.
• Excellent lather
Aside from the great scent, Musgo Real shaving cream’s lather is definitely another one of it’s strong points. It quickly and easily works into a rich lather that provides a ton of cushion and glide. Skin is left feeling soft and smooth, without any redness, irritation, or discomfort. While I do recommend a brush to achieve optimal lather, It’s certainly not required with this shave cream.
• A little goes a long way
The one thing I don’t like about Musgo Real shaving cream is the price. It’s a little expensive. The plus side however is that a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. I find that just a small dab of this luxury shaving cream works into enough lather for at least 2-3 good passes. It’s definitely one of those shaving creams where you should use less than you think you need.
The Art of Shaving – Bergamot & Neroli
If you’re looking for the best smelling shaving cream for men, The Art of Shaving is definitely a brand that’s worth checking out. Because unlike most other brands, The Art of Shaving prioritizes fragrance when developing and formulating their shaving creams. With a long line of awesome scents available, including classics such as sandalwood and lavender, it’s their Bergamot & Neroli shaving cream that really stands out to me. It features a bold and masculine fragrance that smells spicy, sweet, honeyed, crisp, citrusy, and slightly floral. It’s certainly a unique and awesome smelling addition to this list of best smelling shaving creams for men.
What else is great about The Art of Shaving Bergamot & Neroli shaving cream?
• Less is more
No need to overdue it with this shaving cream. Whether you’re lathering with or without a brush, try to keep in mind that you don’t need to use a lot of this stuff to achieve a very thick, rich, quality lather. I suggest starting small (nickel sized amount) and adding more if needed. You likely won’t.
• Great for sensitive skin
If you struggle with skin sensitivity when using shaving cream, The Art of Shaving might be the right brand for you. All of their shaving creams are formulated with natural essential oils and botanical ingredients that are designed to be safe and gentle on the skin. Their shaving creams regularly get great reviews from men who often struggle with skin sensitivity when using other brands.
• The scent lasts
Did you ever use a shaving cream that smells so good you wish you could share it with others? Well that’s one of the things that I really like about this shaving cream from The Art of Shaving. Not only does it smell great while in use, but the awesome Bergamot & Neroli fragrance subtly clings to the skin post shave – allowing anyone who gets close to catch a whiff.
Rocky Mountain Barber Co. – Sandalwood
There are a ton of things to like about Rocky Mountain Barber Co. shaving cream – the awesome sandalwood scent is just one of them. If you’re unfamiliar with Rocky Mountain Barber Company, they are Canada based brand that specializes men’s grooming products, including: beard care, haircare, shaving accessories, and skincare products. Not only are their products extremely high quality, but they are always very reasonably priced. That’s what’s so great about their sandalwood scented shaving cream. It performs exceptionally well, it smells excellent, and it doesn’t cost a small fortune. What’s not to like? Bottom line: if you’re a fan of the soft, warm, woody, and inviting scent of sandalwood, I highly recommend you give Rocky Mountain Barber Co. shaving cream a try.
What else is great about Rocky Mountain Barber Company Sandalwood shaving cream?
• Natural ingredients
If you look at the ingredient list of this shaving cream you’ll notice there isn’t a whole lot of stuff in it. That’s because Rocky Mountain Barber Co. only uses safe, natural ingredients derived from nature to formulate their products. What’s inside:
- Grapeseed oil – Contains anti-inflammatory properties and is high in linoleic acid that helps provide moisture and fullness to the skin. It also helps fight acne and can even reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Argan oil – Produced from the kernels of the argan tree, this moisturizing oil is rich in essential nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds. It helps protect the skin and can reduce redness and irritation from shaving.
- Jojoba – Full of vitamins A and B, this oil is known for it’s moisturizing properties and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe redness and irritation.
- Aloe – Contains antioxidants that help protect the skin, and is also full of vitamins A and C. It’s commonly used in skincare products and shave creams for it’s ability to protect the skin and soothe redness and irritation.
- Glycerin – An emollient derived from vegetables that helps keep the skin soft and supple by locking in moisture.
- Coconut oil – Full of essential fatty acids that help keep the skin moisturized. It’s also great for protecting the skin during shaving and reducing redness, razor burn, and irritation.
- Allantoin – Naturally found in most plants, allantoin helps soften skin, increase moisture absorption, and also contains anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe skin redness and irritation.
- Menthol – Derived from mint plants (commonly peppermint), menthol provides a cooling and soothing sensation to the skin, and also helps calm skin irritation, itching, and burning.
• Highly moisturizing
Another one of the things that I really like about this shaving cream is how it leaves skin feeling very soft, smooth, and hydrated post shave. That’s because it’s packed with natural moisturizers that alleviate dry skin, and help restore moisture that’s lost during shaving.
• Refreshing chill
Aside from the awesome fragrance, one of the first things you’ll notice when you start lathering up with this shaving cream is the cool, refreshing chill. That’s because it contains natural menthol and aloe that are designed to cool and soothe the skin while helping to prevent redness, irritation, and discomfort.
• Made in small batches
One of the things that makes Rocky Mountain Barber Co. shaving cream so great is that it’s handcrafted in small, quality controlled batches. Not only does this ensure a consistent, high quality product – but it also ensures freshness.
Castle Forbes – Lime Essential Oil
Consider stepping up your shaving routine with a shaving cream fit for royalty, literally. Castle Forbes shaving creams originated all the back in 1996 in a tiny perfumery located on the grounds of Castle Forbes in Scotland (hence the name). Known for their incredible scents and amazing performance, Castle Forbes shaving creams are considered by many to be the absolute best shaving creams available in the world. Available in 4 very distinct and incredible fragrances, it’s their Lime Essential Oil shaving cream that really catches my attention. Derived from pure, all-natural essential oils, this shaving cream smells incredibly fresh, sweet, citrusy, and zesty. It kind of reminds me of a very fresh (and delicious) key lime pie. It’s certainly worth checking out if you’re looking for the best smelling shaving cream for men.
What else is great about Castle Forbes shaving cream?
• A little bit goes a very long way
It’s impressive how far this shaving cream goes. When it comes to shaving creams, I’ve never seen one that stretches as far as Castle Forbes. Less than a dime sized amount of this stuff produces an incredibly thick, rich, soft lather, with great peaks and a very smooth texture.
• Natural ingredients
When it comes to products that I put on my skin (especially my face), I prefer to avoid harsh chemicals and ingredients. One of the things that I really like about Castle Forbes shaving cream is that it’s formulated with a very small and natural ingredient list. The original ethos of the Castle Forbes brand was to create high quality products and fragrances using only the best ingredients found in nature.
• Other great scent options
The scent of lime not your cup of tea? Don’t let that deter you from giving this awesome shaving cream a try. Castle Forbes is also available in these scent options:
- Cedarwood & Sandalwood
- 1445 (A classic musky/cologne scent)
• Made in small batches in Scotland
As you would expect from a premium brand like Castle Forbes, all of their shaving creams are produced in very small batches in Scotland. This ensures a consistent, high quality shaving cream, and maximum freshness.
Pre de Provence – No.63
Handcrafted by French artisans, Pre de Provence produces some of the best smelling grooming products in the world. Their No.63 line of skin and haircare products is specifically formulated for men, and features a unique – inspired by France – fragrance that you’re not going to find with other brands. No.63 smells incredibly bold and masculine and can be described as warm, spicy, peppery, citrusy, and woody, with notes of plum, violet, amber, leather, and tobacco. It’s the perfect compliment to any man’s morning shave routine, and the best part is the scent lingers for hours throughout the day.
What else is great about Pre de Provence No.63 shave cream?
• Excellent lubrication and glide
I want to start off by saying that this shave cream doesn’t actually lather. It’s not supposed to. While that may be a total dealbreaker for some, I want to point out that this stuff provides excellent lubrication, glide, and protection – lather or no lather. Skin is left feeling very smooth, soft, and free of any irritation or discomfort. Kind of makes you wonder why lathering shave creams are even necessary.
• Moisturizes and hydrates
If you’re tired of shave creams that leave your skin feeling very dry and stripped of moisture post-shave, Pre de Provence No.63 might be worth checking out. For some men, the process of shaving can often lead to skin that feels very dry, tight, and dehydrated. That’s why it’s important to use a shaving cream that contains skin moisturizing ingredients like Pre de Provence. What’s inside:
- Shea butter – A fat that’s extracted from the nut of the African shea tree, shea butter is known for it’s highly moisturizing benefits and ability to reduce skin inflammation and irritation. It also helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and can even help improve skin’s elasticity.
- Glycerin – A oil that’s naturally derived from plants, glycerin is commonly found in lotions and premium bar soaps for it’s ability to attract moisture to the skin and lock it in.
- Coconut oil – Extracted from the kernel of mature coconuts, this oil has a ton of dietary and skin benefits that include: moisturizing properties, antimicrobial properties, and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also high in lauric acid which helps kill acne causing bacteria.
- Aloe vera – Derived from a plant species originating from the Arabian Peninsula, aloe vera is full of antioxidants, vitamins A and C, and is also highly anti-inflammatory. It’s commonly used in skincare products and shave creams due to it’s ability to soothe redness, irritation, and discomfort from shaving.
• Long-lasting scent
Pre de Provence No.63 is one of those scents that you’re not going to want to keep to yourself. Thankfully you won’t have to. Not only does it smell excellent during the morning shave, but the scent lingers on the skin for hours, allowing you to share the masculine fragrance with others.
Thanks for checking out my list of best smelling shave creams for men. If you found this article helpful, be sure to check out my list of best smelling shave soaps. As always, if you have any questions or comments feel free to drop me a line in the comment section below.