Article updated: March 29, 2022
Did you know that most shaving creams are absolutely packed with harmful chemicals and ingredients?
And I’m not just talking about chemicals and ingredients that can cause skin irritation or redness. I’m talking about pollutants, allergens, chemicals that can cause legit health problems, and even carcinogens.
The scary part is that most men who use these shaving creams are exposing their skin to these chemicals on a daily basis. And if you consider that most men start shaving in their teens, that can amount to years or even decades of exposure to chemicals and ingredients that can literally cause cancer.
Shits not cool man.
So unless you’re considering growing a beard, it’s time to toss that
cancer cream shave cream in the fucking trash, and start seriously considering some natural alternatives.
Below is a list of some of the best natural shaving creams for men. Each one is formulated using safe, natural ingredients, without any compromises in quality or effectiveness.
So that means you can still get an incredibly smooth, close, comfortable shave without exposing your skin to cancer causing chemicals. That’s a big win-win in my book.
- Pacific Shaving Company – Caffeinated
- Brickell Shave Cream
- Marlowe – No. 141 Shave Cream
- Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Shave Cream
- Barberry Coast Shave Company
- Primal Earth – Sensitive Shaving Creme
Best Natural Shaving Creams Reviewed
Pacific Shaving Company – Caffeinated Shaving Cream
If you’re searching for the best natural shaving cream for men, Pacific Shaving Company is here to make your search a whole hell of a lot easier. Formulated with safe, naturally derived ingredients, Caffeinated Shaving Cream checks all the boxes when it comes to quality, comfort, performance, and affordability. And Just like you would expect from a high quality shaving cream, Caffeinated Shaving Cream works into thick, rich lather that provides plenty of cushion and glide. The result is a very close, smooth and comfortable shave, without redness, irritation, or discomfort. Bottom line: if you’re looking for the best natural shaving cream for men, Caffeinated Shaving Cream from Pacific Shaving Company is definitely worth your consideration.
What I like about Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated Shaving Cream:
It says Caffeinated on the bottle, but what the hell does that mean exactly? Just like your morning coffee, this shave cream contains naturally-derived caffeine that has been shown to provide a bunch of benefits for the skin when applied topically, including:
- Reduces skin inflammation and puffiness
- Tightens and brightens the skin
- Helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles
• Smells great
The first thing you’ll notice about this natural shaving cream is undoubtably going to be the scent. Once you pop open the top, your nose is greeted with a great aloe and spearmint fragrance that smells clean, masculine, and refreshing. It also provides an invigorating kick to the senses during those early morning shaves.
• Lather monster
If you’re the type of guy that loves a good lather, this might be the natural shaving cream for you. Not only does it provide a ton of lather, but the quality of the lather is what’s really impressive about it. It’s thick, rich, and incredibly slick. It provides a ton of cushion and glide, and does an excellent job of eliminating redness, irritation, burn, nicks, and cuts.
• A little goes a long way
Another added benefit of this stuff’s great lather is that you really don’t need to use much to get the job done. I find that a small quarter sized amount is more than enough to achieve 2 full passes. Not only does this prolong the lifespan of the shaving cream, but it helps save you money in the long run. Win-win.
Brickell Shave Cream
When it comes to natural and organic skincare products for men, Brickell always manages to find it’s way to the top of my list. Not only are Brickell’s products formulated utilizing safe and natural ingredients, but they are also very high quality and extremely effective. One of my favorite offerings from Brickell is their natural and organic shave cream for men. Not only does it provide a very slick, smooth, comfortable shave, but it contains an absolute shit ton of beneficial ingredients that help skin feel noticeably smooth, soft, nourished, and hydrated. While this Brickell Shave Cream is kind of pricey (my one negative), the quality, performance, and ingredients make it easy to look past the high price tag.
What I like about Brickell Shave Cream:
• Comfortable shave
One of the things that’s different about this Brickell Shave Cream is that it isn’t much of a “cream” at all. That’s because it’s a non-lathering, brushless shave cream. And while this might be a deal breaker for some men, the fact that it doesn’t lather is definitely not a shortcoming when it comes to performance and comfort. Only a small amount of this cream is needed for a very slick, smooth, close, and comfortable shave that kind of makes you wonder if lathering shave creams are even necessary.
• Skin moisturizing ingredients
Not only does this shave cream provide a very close, smooth, comfortable shave, but it contains a bunch of ingredients that help nourish, hydrate, soften, and moisturize skin. What’s inside:
- Glycerin – Derived from vegetable fats, glycerin is an emollient that draws moisture to the skin and locks it in.
- Jojoba – Derived from the seeds of an American shrub, jojoba oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe freshly shaved skin, reduce redness and irritation, and also help nourish and hydrate.
- Aloe vera – Contains cooling properties that help soothe the skin, reduce irritation and discomfort, and even helps moisturize and hydrate.
- Shea Butter – Extracted from the nut of the African shea tree, shea butter is full of omega fatty acids that help nourish and hydrate the skin.
- Coconut oil – Extracted from the meat of mature coconuts, this oil is full of skin beneficial fatty acids that help soften, nourish, and hydrate.
- Olive oil – Full of vitamins (A,D,E,K) and nutrients that help protect, nourish, and moisturize the skin. It also contains antioxidant and antibacterial properties that help protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals.
• Fresh scent
One of the things that I really like about this Brickell Shave Cream (and most Brickell products in general) is the fresh, masculine fragrance. It has an invigorating scent of mint, aloe, and citrus. It’s not too strong or overpowering, but is very refreshing to the senses during early morning shaves. It’s also available in an unscented version if that’s your preference.
• A little goes a long way
As I already mentioned, this stuff isn’t exactly cheap. The plus side however is that a jar of this shave cream has some serious longevity to it. That’s because you don’t need to use much to get the job done. When it comes to application, just remember that less is more. I recommend starting off with a little bit, then adding more if needed. You’ll find that a small amount of it provides plenty of cushion, protection, and slickness.
Marlowe – No. 141 Shave Cream
Marlowe is one of those men’s skincare brands that always manages to impress me with the quality of their products while still keeping prices very affordable. They produce a long line of men’s grooming products that contain only safe, natural ingredients, and their No. 141 shaving cream is another reminder of why I like the brand so much. Formulated using natural ingredients, Marlowe No. 141 Shave Cream provides a very close, silky smooth shave, while containing a ton of all-natural, skin beneficial ingredients. So not only does this shaving cream provide an exceptionally smooth, comfortable shave, but it leaves skin feeling very soft, refreshed, nourished, and hydrated. It also doesn’t cost a small fortune. What more could we ask for in a shaving cream?
What I like about Marlowe No. 141 Shave Cream:
• Silky smooth shave
One of the things that I really like about this natural shaving cream from Marlowe is how much protection and glide it has. Thanks to it’s very thick, rich lather (not light or foamy), No. 141 provides a ton of cushion and protection from razor burn, nicks, and cuts.
• Skin beneficial ingredients
A smooth, close shave isn’t the only thing that Marlowe No. 141 Shave Cream is great at. It’s also packed with a bunch of unique, skin beneficial ingredients that you probably won’t find in other shaving creams. What’s inside:
- Willow bark extract – Extracted from the bark of willow trees (obviously), willow bark extract helps fight oily skin and acne, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps protect skin and reduce irritation and discomfort.
- Green tea – Helps keep the skin moisturized while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps fight acne and soothes skin irritation, redness, and discomfort.
- Sea algae – Full of nutrients and minerals that help draw toxins from the skin. It also helps soften, smooth, moisturize, hydrate, and detoxify the skin.
- Passionflower fruit – Helps fight the signs of aging while adding firmness and fullness to the skin. It also nourishes, hydrates, and soothes redness and irritation.
- Shea butter – Full of omega fatty acids, shea butter is coveted for it’s ability to moisturize and hydrate the skin.
• Smells awesome
Every man appreciates a great smelling shaving cream to help kick off their day, and Marlowe No. 141 definitely falls into the great smelling shave cream category. It’s lightly scented with hints of aloe, citrus, and wood for a fresh, masculine scent that is a great way to start the day.
Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Shave Cream
When it comes to facial skincare for men, Rocky Mountain Barber Company is one of those brands that always comes to mind when I’m looking for quality and performance but don’t want to spend a ton of money. Based out of Canada, Rocky Mountain Barber Co. produces a long line of really awesome performing grooming products for men, including: shave soaps, shave brushes, haircare, beard care, skincare, deodorants, and even razors. Like all of their products, their shaving cream for men contains natural ingredients that are highly effective, while being completely safe and gentle on the skin. It also has a really awesome all-natural sandalwood scent that is definitely worth a whiff.
What I like about Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Shaving Cream:
• Comes in a convenient (and reusable) tin
While some of you guys might not necessarily see this as a selling point, I on the other hand beg to differ. While shaving cream in a squeeze tube is pretty convenient, it’s almost impossible to get every last bit of cream out without completely dissecting the tube. However with Rocky Mountain Barber Co. Shaving Cream, it’s easy and convenient to scoop every last bit of shaving cream from the tin – without letting any go to waste.
• A little goes a long way
One of the first things you’ll notice about this shaving cream is that it has a very thick, rich texture and it lathers really well. Not only does this help ensure a very smooth, comfortable shave, but it also means that you don’t need much to achieve full coverage. My advice is to start small and add more if needed – you probably won’t.
• Cooling and soothing
What better way to start your day than with a refreshing, cooling shave? Thanks to menthol and aloe, this natural shaving cream provides a cool, soothing sensation to the skin that feels as good as it sounds. It’s perfect for those early morning shaves when your senses are still in sleep mode.
• Leaves skin feeling very soft and smooth
While a shaving creams primary purpose is to provide cushion and protection from sharp razor blades, it’s always nice to see ingredients listed on the back that are also beneficial for the skin post-shave. This shaving cream from Rocky Mountain Barber Co. contains natural coconut oil, aloe, and glycerin that leave the skin feeling noticeably soft, smooth, moisturized, and hydrated.
Barberry Coast Shave Co. Shaving Cream
If you’re the type of guy that doesn’t mind spending a little extra money on pampering your skin, I highly recommend you check out this all-natural shaving cream from Barberry Coast. Founded in 2013 by a guy named Allen Crawley, Barberry Coast Shave Co. is known for producing one of the slickest, smoothest, most comfortable shave creams available on the market today. But as we all know, performance isn’t everything when it comes to shave cream – what it’s made out of is just as important. That’s why Barberry Coast’s shaving cream is formulated using only safe, all-natural, and organic ingredients. And although it is on the pricier side, it’s definitely worth considering if you’re looking for the best natural shave cream for men.
What I like about Barberry Coast Shave Co. shaving cream:
• Skin beneficial ingredients
One of the things that makes Barberry Coast shaving cream stand out is the premium natural and organic ingredients that are used to make it. What’s inside:
- Shea Butter – A fat that is extracted from the nut of the African shea tree, shea butter is known for it’s ability to moisturize, restore skin elasticity, reduce razor irritation and bumps, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Aloe – Helps soothe the skin, reduce shaving irritation and bumps, and even helps the skin lock in moisture.
- Sweet almond oil – Helps treat dry skin, fight acne, and works to keep skin feeling smooth, soft, and supple.
- Green tea – Helps moisturize the skin, fight acne, and works to reduce redness and irritation from shaving. It has also been shown to help reduce the signs of aging.
- White tea – Contains antibacterial and anti-aging properties that help prevent wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Lavender – Contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe irritated skin and can even help reduce razor burn.
- Comfrey – Helps make skin feel soft and supple, improves elasticity, and helps fight fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also a known anti-inflammatory that helps reduce skin irritation and razor burn.
• Great scent options
Men like options. That’s why Barberry Coast Shave Co. gives us options. Their all-natural shaving cream is offered in a variety of really awesome fragrances that smell as good as this stuff performs. The scents:
- Bay Rum (Old school barbershop scent – my personal favorite)
- Kingston (Bergamot, pear, grapefruit, Jamaican rum, vanilla, amber)
- Havana (Tobacco leaf, cocoa beans, vanilla, patchouli, clove)
- Ascent (Pine, cedar, musk, amber, mandarin, sandalwood)
- Lavender Royale (Lavender)
- Kohana (Unscented)
• Great lather
Aside from the awesome scents and all-natural ingredients, the thing that is most loved about Barberry Coast shaving cream is it’s great lather. Just a little bit of this stuff is needed to work into a thick, rich lather that provides a very smooth, close, comfortable shave.
• It lasts
While this certainly isn’t the cheapest shaving cream you’re going to come across, it does however last a long time. Since you don’t need to use a lot of this natural shaving cream per use, a jar of this stuff has a pretty impressive lifespan. Mileage will vary of course depending on your shave frequency, but Barberry Coast estimates the jar can last up to 6 months with normal use.
Primal Earth – Sensitive Shave Creme
If a natural shave cream is what you’re looking for, consider this plant powered Sensitive Shave Creme from Primal Earth. Originating all the way from New Zealand, this non-lathering Shave Creme is full of skin beneficial ingredients and plant based extracts. It’s great at conditioning and nourishing the skin while allowing for a very smooth, close, comfortable shave. If you’re unfamiliar with Primal Earth, they specialize in all-natural, plant based skincare products for men. Aside from this awesome Sensitive Shave Creme, their products include: face wash, moisturizer, and shave gel.
What I like about Primal Earth Sensitive Shave Creme:
• Skin moisturizing ingredients and extracts
One of the things that I really like about this natural shaving cream is all of the natural and organic ingredients that are used to make it. What’s inside:
- Aloe vera – Helps provide a smooth, comfortable shave while moisturizing and soothing the skin.
- Organic green tea – Helps moisturize the skin, reduce razor irritation and discomfort, and can even help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Harakeke – Native to New Zealand, this evergreen plant contains anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties. It’s also effective at reducing razor irritation and discomfort.
- Mamaku extract – An extract pressed from the mamaku fern which is native to New Zealand. It’s a natural emollient that attracts moisture to the skin and locks it in. It also helps provide a slick, smooth surface for the razor to glide.
- Jojoba oil – Derived from the seeds of an American shrub (plant), jojoba oil is full of skin beneficial ingredients that help moisturize and hydrate. It’s also contains antibacterial and antioxidant properties that help protect the skin.
- Vitamin E – An antioxidant that is known for it’s ability to protect the skin by fighting and eliminating damaging free radicals. It also contains moisturizing and healing benefits that help strengthen the skin’s natural protective barrier.
• Smooth shave
While this non-lathering, brushless shave cream might be different than what you guys are used to, don’t let that deter you from giving it a try. Because lather or no lather, this stuff allows for a super smooth, slick, comfortable shave without any pain, burn, nicks, cuts, or discomfort. It’s kind of amazing what a plant based shaving cream can do.
• Plant based ingredients
If you’re looking for a natural shave cream, it doesn’t get any more natural than this. Just like all of Primal Earth’s products, this Sensitive Shave Creme is formulated using all-natural, plant based ingredients. It’s completely free of harmful chemicals and the synthetic crap found in most other shave creams. Perfect for men who give a shit about their health and for guys with sensitive skin.
Thanks for checking out my list of best natural shave creams for men. If you found this article helpful be sure to check out my beginners guide to wet shaving. As always, if you have any comments or questions feel free to drop me a line in the comment section below.